Time... is on my side?

It's a total cliche but it still holds some truth: there just aren't enough hours in the day.

By the time I get off work, spend some time at the gym, make dinner and maybe get some chores done, it's already time for bed. I know I'm pretty good at time wasting but I can also be pretty efficient if I want to be, yet I still feel so unaccomplished at the end of the day. Maybe this is because I still see so many things that need to be done. But if I didn't ignore tasks that need to get done, I'd never sit down. And then I'd get bitter and resentful, and no one wants that.

I seem to have two speeds in life: full speed ahead ("Ramming speed!") or completely stopped. I need to find a viable in-between.

I was in "completely stopped" mode last night when I decided to give the evening a kick of spontaneous - I asked Mark if he wanted to go to a tea shop and play a game. Get out of the apartment for a while. I was surprised when he agreed - we aren't usually very good at spontaneity! ("What do you want to do?" "I dunno... what do you want to do?" "I dunno...") So we went to Remedy Teas on Capitol Hill, ordered a pot of Black Satin (a mix of vanilla, mint, and hints of chocolate), and played Dominoes. I could've been doing laundry, cleaning up the apartment, or myriad other little tasks around the house. But the break was worth it for the change of scene and some quality time with Mark.

3 comments:

Esther said...

I love nights like that!

Megs said...

I feel this way too. Either I'm running a million miles an hour or I'm a couch potato and feeling really lazy. I haven't been able to find that happy medium, but I'm searching for it too.

And good for you for taking an evening off and doing something fun. Laundry can always wait.

April said...

love the spontaneity!
p.s. I should give black satin a try! sounds yummy.