Visitors


Lily having a grand time at Chinooks
 I’ve known Megan since third grade and I could tell you SO many memories that involve her…
  • An unplanned trip to the pool involving bikes and, uh, fibbing, that landed both of us in big trouble
  • Goldfish crackers and glow-in-the-dark silly putty
  • dc Talk and Sarah McLachlan. LOTS of Sarah McLachlan.
  • Riding the Zipper at the carnival over and over and over. And over.
  • Getting to be in her wedding to George nearly five years ago
  • I could go on!
And now she and George have a baby! Lily is 15 months old now and a bundle of energy. Which brings me to how “baby illiterate” I am. When Megan asked me if I might be able to procure a portable high chair and a pack-and-play for their stay, I said, “Sure!” Only later did I think, “What in the world is a pack-and-play?”
I’m really not joking when I say I know nearly nothing about babies. My (twin) brother and I were the babies of our extended family so we never had younger relatives around to take care of on a regular basis. The youngest child I’ve ever babysat was two and a half, well past those infant months. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I’ve held a baby. I know. I told you I wasn’t joking! I was also never one of those kids who played with baby dolls – I jumped right into Barbies and paper dolls and completely skipped anything having to do with babies. Just never struck my fancy. Nor have I ever been someone who is fascinated or entertained by babies. I’m not really sure why, but I think it must just be because I’ve never been around them for long. Maybe at some point in my childhood I decided I wouldn’t be stereotyped into the typical female who loves babies? I don’t know! All I do know is that at some point we’ll probably have a baby and I’m sure I’ll be in love with her/him. I’m not worried. :)

No comments: