Confessions...

I’ve recently picked up the “Confessions of a Shopaholic” series for some entertaining reading. Who doesn’t like a good beach read? I’ve also seen the movie and I always find myself comparing the two. The movie stars Isla Fisher, whom I consider to be an Amy Adams lookalike (check out that red hair!)

If I watch the movie first and then read the book it was based on, I’ll usually picture the actors and actresses when I read. This time though, Isla Fisher will not stick in my head. She just doesn’t seem to fit the Becky Bloomwood in the book. I don’t know where I got this, but for some reason I always picture Casey Wilson of SNL. I’m not sure if it’s Casey’s all-around American girl way (which is weird because the book Becky is actually British), but I can’t get her out of my head. Casey is my Becky.

“Confessions” is a comedy of errors. You know those movies where nothing will go right for the protagonist? “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” or “Meet The Parents” come to mind. The ones where the guy just can’t catch a break and where you fidget uncomfortably in your seat because everything goes wrong and it’s just so awkward? For me, it’s the same when I encounter these situations in books. I get absorbed in books and sometimes become physically uncomfortable when I read about an awkward situation. Last night, Becky was getting drunk during an interview and I actually had to put down the book a few times and move around the apartment. Who knew reading could be so stressful?

No comments: