We are excited to announce that we are leaving the quasi-closet apartment we now call home and are moving to a bigger apartment only three blocks away! While we aren't particularly thrilled with the thought of moving, especially since we now possess heavy furniture, it will be nice not to be continually bumping shoulders while trying to navigate our tiny bathroom and kitchen. The new apartment is part of a four-plex in an old house in the Eastlake neighborhood (the house was built in 1910). I've made a list of the pros and cons of our new place and included a map.
1. The apartment is almost double the size of what we currently have. We'll have a guest bedroom and bathroom, an office closet (you'll have to see it to understand), and a bigger kitchen. The huge deck sports a better view of Lake Union, the Space Needle and downtown, and the price tag is a steal for sure.
2. We'll have a fireplace, a DISHWASHER, a full-sized oven and a full-sized refrigerator. What an upgrade! We can actually use our baking sheet!
3. The landlord is very personable and responsive.
1. Carpet throughout, no hardwood floors. I guess we're going to have to pick up a vacuum cleaner at some point.
2. The washer/dryer is not in the actual unit, but accessible by a separate door on the outside of the house. PRO: the coin-operated set costs less than our current set-up, and we'll be sharing the W/D with only three other units rather than nine.
3. The freeway is on the other side of the street. The city just built a large retaining wall to block most of the sound but you can still hear the traffic. This is something you can get used to though, so we're not too concerned. Especially since Lake Union is a landing strip for seaplanes, so we're already used to traffic of a different sort.
View Larger Map