My favorite Christmas present

I was in fourth grade when I received my favorite Christmas present of all time.


Thus began a fierce devotion to the story of Anne Shirley as only Lucy Maud Montgomery could write it. I wished with all my heart that I could turn my hair red and change my name to Anne, spelled with an E. I re-read the original trilogy again and again, committing to memory the obscurest facts of Anne’s life (sadly, I’m a little rusty now). Contrary to the experience of most of my friends, I did not grow up watching the movies and it wasn’t until high school that I finally watched the film version of “Anne of Green Gables”. I was a little disappointed, to be honest. Heresy, I know, but old loyalties die hard.

If you’re looking for me, I’ll be curled up with a tumbler of raspberry cordial and reminiscing.

No comments: