Thoughts on servanthood

"It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home, for this is where our love for each other must start."  - Mother Teresa

Sometimes I get caught up in my aspirations of service and forget that my own home is a sort of mission field. I like to think that I care for the people of the world, the people of my city, but how does that translate to the ones closest to me? Do I respond in love and in unselfishness? With gratefulness? Too often the ones around us bear the brunt of the burdens we shoulder - "I'm too busy," I say, "Do it yourself."

The home is the starting point to cultivate a lifestyle of servanthood. If you can't serve your spouse, your friends, the ones you say you love, how can you serve those society deems unlovable?

No comments: