The weekend report

1. I've been trying to finish Alexandre Dumas' "Twenty Years After", the sequel to "The Three Musketeers". I finished "The Three Musketeers" in April but it's taken me until now to really get into the sequel. Dumas continues to amaze me with his fantastic storytelling and character development. I just reached a point in the novel where one of the side characters dies (it's no secret - the back of the book gives it away) and I still cried because I'd grown attached to him.

I remember the first book I read that made me cry: Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings' "The Yearling", about a boy and his deer. Do you cry in books?

2. We hosted a Fifa 11 soccer tournament at our place on Friday - a friend brought another Xbox and TV so we had a dual set-up and could have two matches occurring at the same time. Mark and I ended up winning the tournament, which we still find a bit shocking since every time we play the computer together, we lose. Buoyed by our Friday night success, I played two games by myself Saturday - and lost 0-2 and 0-3. My finishing skills need work.

3. You'll find us most Sunday afternoons hanging out at the Fremont Sunday Market, sampling the wares of local artisans and vintage junkies. I tasted a delicious pear jelly with hints of pinot noir and cinnamon but I can't remember the name of the vendor - and my Googling skills are failing me. I guess we'll have to go back!

No comments: