House hunting in the snow


Leave it to us to go house hunting on the first day of snow in over a year in the Seattle area. I don’t know which is more shocking, that we’ve started looking for a house or that it actually snowed! You heard right – we’re on the hunt for a house with a real live mortgage. The good news is that we aren’t in any rush. If we find something, great; if we don’t, we’ll live. No pressure.

The first day of house hunting was eye-opening, to say the least. Most houses (townhouses are on the table too at this point) in the Seattle area are in our price range for a reason, and we encountered our fair share of places situated on top of busy arterials or overlooking the freeway. We’ve also discovered that we’re going to have to at least be open to making some compromises on factors like the area we want to live, or the amount of work we want to put into the acquisition. I keep reminding myself that this is a starter house and we likely won’t be in it forever. People buy and sell houses all the time! But it’s hard for me to think in advance and keep my eyes open for a house that we can grow into, rather than one that fits us now.

So we’ll see. I’m grateful we aren’t in a rush – I imagine it must be stressful to look for a house when you’re under a deadline!

No comments: