Homemade teriyaki sauce

Before my elementary/middle/high school moved to its new building in west Greeley, it used to be down the street from a restaurant called Teriyaki Bowl. I'm sure the place broke all kinds of health codes but it was sure delicious.

I came to Seattle in 2003 and was introduced to a teriyaki joint in Belltown called Mom's Teriyaki, a hole-in-the-wall sorta place that you only find by accident. I've tried to find other teriyaki places with sauce that equals Mom's but haven't been successful. Then my friend Melanie's brother came to town and taught us how to make our own teriyaki sauce! Since I learned, I haven't been able to use storebought sauce. Sometimes it's just more fun to make it yourself.

Homemade teriyaki sauce:
  • Whisk together equal parts of honey, sake, and soy sauce in a small saucepan or skillet. I usually use half a cup or a whole cup of each ingredient, depending on how many we're feeding.
  • Grate about a teaspoon of fresh ginger into the mixture and bring to a low boil.
  • Simmer for about 15 minutes, skimming off any foam that comes to the top.
  • Remove the sauce for the burner and let it thicken for a few minutes.
  • Serve as an accompaniment to rice or as a marinade for your choice of meat. Our favorite is salmon!

3 comments:

Esther said...

Yum! Sounds great. I am def going to try it this week :)

Melanie said...

Yay! I just shared your blog with my brother :)

Heather Seymour said...

Ha, thanks Melanie :) He'll probably be like, that isn't my recipe at all! But it's as I remember it almost two years later!