Awkward Award #2

Is there any way to look normal while waiting for someone at a Starbucks? So you don't look like you're lurking next to the mugs for sale?

I was waiting for my friend to join me at the University Village Starbucks on Sunday afternoon when it occurred to me that I must look ridiculous lurking in the corner. And why I thought that meeting at that particular Starbucks was a good idea, I'll never know. Imagine an outdoor mall on a sunny day with little parking and crammed with students and strollers. There were absolutely no free seats so waiting at a table was out of the question. I can only pretend to look at mugs and carafes for so long before it starts to get weird.

I can't lie - if I don't have a book or a computer in front of me, I have a problem with staring. My eyes just automatically fix on whatever's in front of me or across from me, so if that happens to be a face then that's not really my fault, right? It's not like I'm meaning to look at you. You're just there.

So what I'm trying to say is I made eye contact with at least half the people in that room. For 20 minutes. It doesn't get much more awkward than that. Someone save me from myself.

No comments: